Friday, April 25, 2008

I have a confession to make

by Paul Dughi, HydroInsider.com

I have a confession to make. I miss Kevin Aylesworth. I know that's not the way guys are supposed to say these things, so let me try to be more specific. I miss the Freedom Racing team, Jeffrey Michael Johnson, Kevin and, well, the whole way that team went at it.

I miss the new boat they built last year. They only made it to the West Coast races and had gear box problems that hampered them down the stretch, but that boat had potential. HAS potential. Somebody needs to buy it and put it back on the water!

I really miss the way this team gathered support and publicity. They made fans everywhere they went. And they worked hard to bring in new fans. They got attention. Quite simply, they did things right. And they're a model for anybody else out there that wants to get started in boat racing.

LEFT: The U-21 leaves San Diego at night for the trek to Tri-Cities for debut
RIGHT: Brian Perkins returns after qualifying in the U-21 at Tri-Cities 2007

For the years Kevin and his team were in the Unlimited ranks, they brought the boat to town days before anybody else and took it around for show. Kevin's dad, Rich, usually brought the boat to KNDU-TV and took the time to explain (again) to the (yet another) batch of reporters what the sport was all about. At the race site, Kevin was always out with the fans, giving tours, and interacting with the crowd.

I've told the story before about the time in the Tri-Cities when one of the other teams had to close down the pits to use a crane to lift a motor from their truck to the boat. It was a safety thing – can't have people walking under the crane. A lot of people were upset they had to stand there and wait for 5 minutes while this took place. Kevin came out from his area and started talking to people and signing autographs. Turned the grumblers into fans.

I miss the way the found sponsor money. And I miss the way they teamed up with a charity in each community to race money for children's causes.
Kevin and Jeffrey had to make the tough decision to put racing on hold so they could invest and grow their business. I respect that. But that doesn't stop me from wishing they were still doing their thing.

RELATED ARTICLES:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more. Kevin Aylesworth and the U-21 team were great ambassadors for this sport. I thought they had a very bright future and seemed to be gaining popularity with the fans. In short: they did it the right way. As a long time race fan hoping for a resurgence in the unlimiteds I was shocked and saddened when they called it quits. They will be missed....